[Amps] RF Power Capacitors

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Jan 12 07:23:45 EST 2004

** Hal --   A source of RF transmitting capacitors is:
http://www.highenergycorp.com/ceramic/rftransmit.html
  However, 2000pF is not needed for a pair of 8877s' DC blocker capacitor
unless the anplifier is for AM broadcast-band service.  My guess is that
700pF would suffice for 1.8MHz.  Thus an HT-59, 700pF, 25kV-DC unit,
which will carry 14A at 10Mhz should do the job.   However, HT-59 Series
caps over 250pF should only be used by coupling and bypassing since they
have N3300 or N4700  temp coefficients.  //  note --- I would avoid
paralleling DC blocker caps since doing so forms an additional
VHF-resonant circuit in the anode-lead which can be a pain in the
posterior.
--   It is my opinion that Hams typically choose DC blocking caps that
have needlessly low Xc for what is basically a high-Z circuit -- i.e.,
they use more C than is justified..  Afterall, the DC blocker cap
dissipates virtually no power no matter what value it is.  The main
criteria is whether the Tune and Load capacitors will tune the tank for
max P without touching their stops on the lowest freq. of operation.  If
they do, the DC blocker has enough C.   //  A couple of years ago Tom
Rauch, W8JI, reported on a fellow who mistakenly used a 100pF instead of
a 1000pF DC blocker cap. in a 1500W HF amplifier project.  The amplifier
worked as expected.  However, when the mistake was inadvertently
discovered, the 100pF unit was replaced with.a 1000pF unit .  No change
in power output was observed.

cheers.