[Amps] Transformer varnish removal

Phil Harman pharman at ddd.com
Wed Jan 14 14:21:13 EST 2004

As a newbie to the list apologies if  this topic has been covered before.

For some years I've been modifying ex PC switch mode power supplies to give
14v @ 20A for various rigs and amps.  I do this by making a few component
value changes and rewinding the secondary of the switching transformer. In
order to do the rewind I have to remove most of the varnish from the
transformer and to date have done this by soaking the entire transformer in
mineral turps for a few days. This normally softens the varnish enough  to
scrape it off, separate the E cores and start the rewind process. However,
my current batch of transformers don't seem to be effected by the mineral
turps and I can't seem to find a suitable solvent to soften it. Any
suggestions as to a suitable solvent.

73's  Phil... VK6APH

---