[Amps] Power-off tube cooling

Mike Hyder --N4NT-- N4NT_Mike.Hyder at charter.net
Sat Jan 17 11:44:06 EST 2004

Oh, and the question is not "will the 0º end reach a dangerous temperature?"
The question is: "will the rising temperature of that end coupled with the
falling temperature of the glass enclosure create trouble?"  It might.
Glass conducts heat much less well than metal does, so the glass which
contacts the metal rod will become hotter while the rest of the envelope
cools.

We used to cut Coke bottles in half by heating a ring around them with the
friction of a string, then dipping them into water.  This was no doubt
caused by the temperature difference we caused.  If you can cut a Coke
bottle in this way, then temperature differences in the glass around the
seal could be equally catastrophic, I would think.

Mike N4NT