[Amps] Power-off tube cooling

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Sat Jan 17 09:24:52 EST 2004

RFlabnotes at aol.com wrote:

> My simple-minded physical reasoning says that when the power is all removed,
> there can be no additional heat-rise. So, at least the filament for a short
> time is no better or worse off than during steady-state standby.

At least in the case of glass tubes like the 3-500Z, the problem is the
filament seals.  After turning the filament and blower off, heat is
conducted from the still-hot filament supports to the glass-metal seals,
which are now not being cooled by the blower.  So the seal temperature
rises.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco