[Amps] Tough valves?

Jim Miller JimMiller at STL-Online.Net
Sun Jan 25 15:14:11 EST 2004

Richard,

I have an Ameritron AL1500 amp that was shipped new to me in three packages.
The packages were 1. the tube, 2. the transformer, and 3. the main part of
the amp.  The transformer in this one weighs 45 or 50 pounds so my guess is
that it was separated for shipment to minimize the stress on the chassis.
The 8877 tube was shipped separately also in a box about 8x8x10 inches with
form fitting foam all around.  Your amp may not have as heavy a transformer
so may not need to be separated, but the tube would ride a lot safer if it
is properly padded.

Just my opinion,
73, de Jim KG0KP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard" <translations at qdnet.pl>
To: " AMPS" <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 6:47 PM
Subject: [Amps] Tough valves?

I will be transmiiting with my valve amplifier from my summer cottage this
year which g me worried that transporting the amp (1xGU74) to and from my
home to the cottage might not be the best thing for the valve itself. But
then I see many DXpeditions use the same amp on many trips, so the resilance
o valves being bounced around in cars and planes must be quite reasonable.

So the question I have to the group is are (ceramic) designed to faithfully
stay in one place, or can the take the punishment of beig moved happily
around in the back of the car etc, and to what extend can they take this?

Richard
SO5GB