[Amps] Re: matching network

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 10:24:44 EST 2004

R. Measures wrote:
>**  In a grounded-grids, tetrode amplifier, c. 75% of the total grid
>current flows in the control grid and c. 25% of the current flows in
>the screen grid.

We need to be very careful about what we mean by "grounded grids".

Both grids need to be grounded to RF... but they don't *have* to be both
connected directly to chassis.

What Rich says is only true if both grids are connected directly to
chassis (and even then, the current division between g1 and g2 will
depend on the mu-g1g2 value for that particular tube).

If one grid is directly grounded, and the other is bypassed to ground,
and the g1 and g2 voltages - measured relative to the cathode voltage -
are the same as for grounded cathode, then the tube's DC operating
conditions will still be OK. Many VHF/UHF tetrode amplifiers use this
configuration, because at those frequencies the cathode driving
impedance is much easier to match than the grid driving impedance.

In other words, cathode drive is strictly an RF thing. It doesn't *have*
to involve incorrect DC operating conditions.

However, for this particular 4CX350 amp, it makes no sense to convert it
to cathode drive, because the amp will then require a band-switched
input network. As many have said, resistor-swamped 'passive grid' is the
way to go.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'