[Amps] cathode drive

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 28 12:10:40 EST 2004

Cathode driven tetrodes is often used for VHF/UHF applications, as
the input impedance of the grid is difficult to match with low enough
Q. As Rich said, the driving Z is easier to match driving into the
cathode where the cathode current and driving voltage help determine
the input impedance. I wrote a paper years ago at Broadcast
Electronics (still have it scanned I think, if anyone wants a copy
let me know) in which I built the 3500 watt FM amplifier (class C)
using the new 4CX3500A, and drove it with cathode grounded and with
grid grounded, separately. There is a comparison of  the resulting
phase and magnitude of the gain response through the power amplifier.
It was fun work building a socket for both versions before embarking
on the preferred approach, which for 100 MHz was grid driven,
grounded cathode.

I am presently building 500 kW and 3 MW pulsed VHF cavity amplifiers
using cathode driven tetrode (and Diacrode) devices. Building
suitable bypass capacitors for the control and screen grids on these
beasts have really been a chore.

John
K5PRO