[Amps] A Crying Shame

David Harmon K6XYZ at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 08:07:11 EST 2004

Several words jump out at me.....

>> an official UPS Store, Inc., and let them box everything up.<<
Not, noway, nohow, never allow those boneheads to allow you in their
place of business.

>>: Bubble wrap, cardboard box, peanuts after that, and another
cardboard box. The finished product had six inches of dense packing
around<<
This stuff should only be used for making noise when you pop the bubbles
and the peanuts to make a mess.

>> including the expert packing.<<
The expert packing was expert only because they said so.

>>"You should have never shipped it anywhere!" Isn't he right?<<

Yep, Rudi's right....partially....surprisingly, a moving company such as
Allied Van Lines will not only pick up the heavy stuff and put it on the
van, you don't have to crate it up either unless you want to. They wrap
heavy blankets around the item and strap it down so it can't bounce
around.
K6AD shipped a big Collins KW-1 from NJ to San Francisco this way with
absolutely no problems. I think he did the same with a Collins 30S-1
also.
Another guy shipped a large and very heavy Gates AM broadcast tx this
way and there was no prob either.
Of course, remove the tubes first, pack properly and toss in the truck
or tape to amp enclosure
The cost of moving heavy items like this is much more reasonable than
you would think.

As far as your cell site work is concerned.....I retired from NORTEL and
it has taken me more than 1 1/2 years to completely get my life back and
stop thinking every few minutes that I need to be somewhere other than
where I am (home).
I made the mistake of letting NORTEL concerns get in the way of what I
needed to do in my personal life a couple of times and I paid list price
for my stupidity.
I'll bet you won't do that again.....
I spent 42 years in the Telecommunication industry and I am
cooked...toasted...done....
I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through.....my
sympathy.

Regards

Dave Harmon
NSRCA 586