[Amps] A Crying Shame

noll amidzich namidzich at wi.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 00:32:30 EST 2004

As a college student in the early 70's, I worked at UPS one summer taking
packages off a conveyor and loading the docked trucks. It was the most
grueling and demanding work I had ever done. (guess I was meant to be a desk
jockey :-)

A continuous loop conveyor partioned by color coded cages housing the
packages would rotate before us. Our assignment was to empty the packages
from our assigned color coded "cages" on to the dock and load the truck (by
address sequence) before the next revolution of  new packages came down the
line.

If our cages weren't cleared when the conveyor passed in front of our
assigned truck the line supervisor gave us hell; if the packages were not
loaded in the truck in the correct address sequence , we caught hell from
the drivers (and I certainly understand why). Delicate handling of the
packages just wasn't a priority. I never heard any complaints about damaging
the contents of a package (but I'm sure that DID happen on occasion). I
always worked up quite a sweat (and was in pretty good physical condition).
It seemed like the harder I worked, the faster the packages came.

 I just wanted those packages out of the cage and in the truck as FAST as
possible, by whatever means it took to do so.

Noll  W9RN