[Amps] shipping amps

Steve Thompson g8gsq at qsl.net
Sat Jan 31 18:43:33 EST 2004

kce wrote:
> For a very heavy amp or boat anchor, I will usually build a wooden
> crate and foam around the gear. I am not set up to foam here but a
> friend of mine works in the shipping dept of a factory here and I can
> usually get him to do it for me. I have in a pinch went to the local
> Home Depot and purchased several cans of the expanding foam and used
> that.
A place I use returns test gear from cal this way - cardboard box, foam in
the bottom, then a sheet of plastic and bed the equipment into it. More
plastic over the equipment and more foam so it's up to the top when you seal
the lid. Upside - very unlikely to get chassis damage even from a corner
drop. Downside - any violent deceleration will be transferred into the
equipment more than if it's packed in bubble wrap and/or poly chips, so
things that can come loose will obey the laws of motion.

Steve