[Amps] Rice Box Exciter to Collins 30S-1 & 30L-1

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Jul 7 10:12:34 EDT 2004

=F0  To obtain quality AM from a modern radio and a linear amplifier,=20
first tune the amplifier up at 100% of max pep.  I prefer to do this=20
with a CW keyer sending 50wpm dits or with a tuning pulser.  Next,=20
switch to AM mode and adjust the carrier control for 25% of max pep. =20
Speak into the mic and adjust the mic gain to the point that 100% of=20
max pep is obtained.  Mo' mic gain is not mo' betta.  Also, there=20
should be virtually no change in the linear amp's anode current during=20=

modulation.
--  Additional comments -- To reduce Rx noise, I listen to AM with the=20=

SSB product detector, back off the RF gain, and select the sideband=20
with the least interference.   By doing this, it allows one to operate=20=

comfortably in an AM-VOX situation. =20
cheers, Roger