[Amps] HF and 4cx250b's

Alex Dolgosh al.dolgosh at hamradio.org
Thu Jul 15 19:55:38 EDT 2004

I built an HF amp back in 1970 with four 4CX250B's in parallel.  The tank
circuit was a B&W 851 (I think) bandswitching assembly and vacuum variables
for tuning and loading.  The input circuit was passive grid with drive
voltage developed across the non-inductive 50 ohm resistor from a Heathkit
Cantenna placed in the forced air stream under the tube socket subchassis.
As I remember calculating, this provided almost exactly the correct driving
voltage at the 100 watt level - no tuned input to worry about!

Performance and efficiency were great - I remember seeing well over 1000
watts out on 10 meters.

The whole RF deck, with centrifugal blower, was built inside a Heathkit
SB-series cabinet and the power supply with plate, screen and control grid
power supplies in an outboard cabinet.  I was able to get Heathkit knobs and
meter for an SB-200 from Heathkit Parts department and laid out the front
panel so it resembled the SB-200 closely enough to fool people at first
glance - until they saw the Bird wattmeter readings!

Sure brings back fond memories - I wish I still had it.  I had the same
questions then about why it wasn't being done commercially.

Al - K8EUR