[Amps] HF and 4cx250b's

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Jul 17 08:32:35 EDT 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Dino Darling wrote:

> I was told, by a wise person, that if you need more than TWO tubes to
> get the desired output, GET BIGGER TUBES!

••  It's good advice.  Each time, one adds a tube, it increases
feedback-C, which is not a good thing unless one is designing a VHF
oscillator.   For example, one 3-500Z amplifiers seemingly toast fewer
bandswitches due to intermittent arcing than two 3-500Z amplifiers.
Another factor is cost.  For example, two 8877s cost more than one
8171, and they will deliver only about 1/3 the output of an 8171 .
However, the socket for an 8171 costs more.
- cheers, Dino