[Amps] HV fuse

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Jul 17 08:51:21 EDT 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 3:08 PM, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

> Oleg Skydan wrote:
>> Hi, All !
>>
>>> On the other hand, for tubes up to the 1500W class, Eimac's and
>>> Rich's
>>> recommendation is a good one:
>>> breakers, or
>>
>> What do you think about switching HV off with the vacuum relay ?
>> Is it better than fuses/circuit breakers in the primaries of the PS
>> transformer ?
>
> It doesn't need to be as fast as a vacuum relay. With conventional
> mains switching relays and an electronic anode current sensing
> circuit, a crowbar short will usually shut down the HV without blowing
> any fuses.

••  Ian --- The issue is seemingly to prevent  damage to the amplifying
device from the current peak generated by the stored energy in the
filter caps. Would a mechanical relay be fast enough to do this?  //
What kind of a crowbar would be able to function in a 9000V power
supply?

> The glitch resistor protects the tube against the first current surge
> out of the HV capacitor, so there is no great strain on the relay.

••  If the glitch-R protects the tube,  we need a HV crowbar to protect
______?