[Amps] (no subject)

Thomas Hix w4th at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 12:02:23 EDT 2004

>Hi all,
>
>Is there some reason why there seems to be very few HF amps built around
>the 4cx250b's? They seem to be cheep and very plentiful.
>
>I am thinking of building an HF amp using 3 or 4 4cx250b's. Is there
>
>anything wrong with doing this?
>

>Cheers
>
>Jerry

Hi Jerry;

Unless you already have the 4cx250b tubes, why not go with a pair of 4cx800a
tubes. I think you can get as much or even more output from a pair of the
4cx800a/gu74b tubes than you can out of the 4 4cx250b tubes, and with the
4cx800a/gu74b tubes running around $190 a pair I would say it is a better
buy.
No matter which tubes you go with, you may want to check out the G3SEK
Tetrode board kits on my website www.tomstubes.com  It is a great kit for
anyone who builds an amp that runs tetrodes of any size......I also have the
same type of kit for triodes.

73
Tom....W4TH

Tom's Tubes: Specializing in Amateur Radio Amplifier Tubes/Sockets & G3SEK
Tetrode/Triode Boards & Kits http://www.tomstubes.com