[Amps] HV fuse

Oleg Skydan skidan at mail.ints.net
Sat Jul 17 23:39:28 EDT 2004

Ian White, G3SEK wrote

> Sorry, I now see that the original question was ambiguous, and I read it
> differently from Rich.
>
> My answer was based on what I had written earlier, and meant: if you
> have a glitch resistor in the HV output, then you do need a relay,
> circuit breaker or fuse in the transformer primary... but it doesn't
> need to be especially fast.

OK. Consider I have a 40 uF capacitor in the PS charged to 3000V
(one that uses in the pulse laser PS). Will it be safe for electronic
crowbar to discharge it ?

My idea was having a glitch resistor and vacuum relay in series in HV.
In case of overcurrent the glitch resistor will limit current until relay
will
switch off (~10ms). This will prevent discharging PS capacitor through
glitch resistor and tube.

All the best,
Oleg
73 de UR3IQO
P.S. Fuses in mains is a must in any case !