[Amps] RE: HF and 4cx250b's

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Mon Jul 19 00:46:21 EDT 2004

Jerry,
Using 4CX250B's in parallel can be done easily enough. I have seen from
1 to 4 paralleled. Run them with about +2500 Vdc plate (OCV), +300
screen, and -30 to -70 vdc control with a -90 to -100 vdc cutoff. Once
you know the currents of the plate, screen and control, it's pretty easy
to lay out. Personally if it runs over two 4CX250B tubes, I'd use a
4CX800 or 2 of them. The 4CX800 is does not cost much more than a good
quality new Eimac 4CX250B and the socket is pretty cheap also. The
4CX250B's dont need the expensive air system sockets either. Just use a
straight ceramic socket and cut the chassis out to match a chimney. You
can save a good bit of money by doing this. Use a simple regulated
screen supply (variable), and a variable bias. The bias can be ran from
a simple zener with a potentiometer in series to ground. On receive,
throw the full -90-100 Vdc on the control with a relay and on transmit,
put the zener circuit in line. It is good practice to put a parasitic
suppressor in the control grid lead also. You can match the input with a
pi network or a tuned transformer, whichever you wish. If your going to
run a neutralization circuit, use the transformer design.

Will Matney

Hi all,