[Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Jul 23 07:03:58 EDT 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Will Matney wrote:

> Rich,
> Yes, you are correct. I myself would build it the same as you. The
> main reason for showing these other ways was because that's how all
> the manufacturers used to do it and some still do, (diode strings)! I
> was looking over some schemes used by Alpha, QRO, and a few other
> manufacturers who are using tetrodes and seen they are still using
> zener strings. I agree that this does nothing for the IMD and all
> would like this cleaner (no splatter) but that's what the customer is
> getting.

Hello, Will --  As I see it, not all zener-strings are equal in
performance.  A major problem with zeners is that the dissipation
ratings are for a case temperature of 25ºC - which is unrealistic
except outdoors in a blizzard.  Thus, unless the engineer reads All the
specs and starts to actually think, the result is bound to stink.
end

>  However, if someone wants to homebrew an amp with limited resources,
> they're most likely going to copy one of these circuits that's being
> used or was used in the past. Myself, I would use a shunt regulator
> with semiconductors, either transistors or FET's.

Since FETs are virtually immune to secondary breakdown, they are
superior to Bi-polars in applications such as this.

> If I recall, the tetrode board that Ian White builds uses a FET for
> the regulation which is as close to a tube as you can get using a
> semiconductor. Ian, correct me if I'm wrong on this. Actually, some
> amps screens are running off of unregulated supplies which cause
> problems. I myself was brought up around tubes which I count a
> blessing as most don't even teach the subject anymore. This is a shame
> because anything in broadcasting with any power uses vacuum tubes.
> Even industrial machinery uses diodes, ignitions, etc yet to this day.
> I was told that the military, even though they use tubes in their
> transmitters, do not tech tube theory! So, whats the new technician
> going to do when he is called upon to repair a final PA? What about
> the radar scopes and the CRT's all over the place?

CRT monitors are being replaced with TFT and plasma panel-type monitors.