[Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Jul 25 06:49:28 EDT 2004

On Jul 24, 2004, at 7:42 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

>>> Doesn't the screen current vary as the rf output varies from zero to
>>> peak at
>>> the beat frequency between the two tones?
>>
>>   Hello, Steve ---  Yes, because there is zero screen-I until the
>> instantaneous anode-V dips down close to the screen-V -- i. e., the
>> anode is no longer positive enough to take away all the electrons that
>> pass by the screen.   For instance, with an 8171 @ E-screen = 1500v,
>> during the RF cycle, the screen current varies from zero to about
>> 900mA
>> even though the average screen-I is c. 120mA.  From the characteristic
>> curves, it can be seen that most of the screen-I flows when the
>> instantaneous anode-V dips under 2kV.
>>
>>> The meter reading will be steady
>>> because of inertia.
>>
>> The screen's RF bypass-C keeps the instantaneous screen-V constant
>> during the RF-cycle.
> I'm not talking about the screen voltage and the RF cycle - I'm
> talking about
> the screen current and audio frequencies that arise from the two tone
> test.

RR.  I Understand this,

> If I wind the carrier power up and down, the screen current goes up
> and down.
> If I wind the power up and down at 2Hz the screen current goes up and
> down at
> 2Hz and the meter needle will follow it. If I wind the carrier power
> up and
> down at 1kHz the screen current goes up and down at 1kHz but the meter
> needle
> indicates steady 'average' current because it can't follow the
> changes, not
> because the current is actually constant. The regulation of the
> voltage at
> the audio frequency does matter. It's tricky winding the power control
> up and
> down at audio frequencies manually, two tones does it more effectively.

   I agree, Steve.  However, unregulated screen supplies have a filter C
that is large enough to minimize 100Hz - 120Hz ripple, so that should
minimize V-out ripple (and IMD) when the load current changes at a
1000Hz rate.
   In the amplifier I am currently building, I will be using an
electronically-UNregulated resonant-choke 1500V screen PS.  The
resonant choke is 9H//0.2uF and a filter C that is seemingly too big.
The logic here is that since both of my previous "plywood box" ugly
amplifiers used electronically-regulated screen supplies -- which
proved to be the most delicate part of the machine, something simpler
might be worth a try.  Thus, extra filter-C is an attempt to minimize
voice modulation IMD.  With luck, the result won't suck.  If it does, I
will go to a higher tap on the transformer and electronically regulate
down to 1500V with the + floating regulator shown at
http://www.somis.org/D-a-08.GIF cheerz
end