[Amps] Re: RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies (Gary Schafer)

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sun Jul 25 12:49:49 EDT 2004

Exactly, and is my point here. Yes, two tones do produce some variance
but that is what the test was around. What happens when you add voice
with all the frequencies and harmonics like I'm speaking of? Does the
IMD raise or stay the same? With the two tones, you'll have those two
frequencies, their products from each because of mixing and some
harmonics from each of them. Each multiple with a lower voltage than the
center frequency which I assume your speaking of varying the current and
voltage. Keep in mind though that still each are at a constant peak to
peak voltage (each frequency with harmonics and products lower) because
of the generators output and are unchanging each cycle. The voice will
cause all these other frequencies to vary and thus be more "wide" spread
than the test tone and the incoming peak to peak voltages each cycle
changing. It was always my understanding that this is where the IMD
problem came from. The two tone test shows so much, but like you said,
the voice signal may be unmeasurable. However, I would like to know what
it would be by using the different regulators with voice modulation.
After all, we don't speak in two tones but all of them with
differentiating volume. I'd still about bet it will raise it.

Will Matney

"Multiple tones could also be used rather than just two tones but that
gets tough to unscramble as many more products are produced.

73
Gary  K4FMX"