[Amps] more on rebuilding glow bottles

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Jun 8 05:59:59 EDT 2004

\
On Jun 7, 2004, at 10:11 AM, John T. M. Lyles wrote:

> Rebuilding a tube 'usually' entails more than recarburizing the=20
> filament. I don't recall any of ours being just re-carb'ed without=20
> being opened up and inspected.

=F0  John --  The tubes you use at work are somewhat different than the=20=

tubes used in Amateur Radio.

> The grids often need to be replaced due to high primary or secondary=20=

> emission, from being coated during operation.They can sometimes get=20
> rejuvenated by running them with grid dissipation but not always.=20
> Sometimes there are holes in the grid from arcs from anode towards=20
> cathode. Sometimes the grid is warped. Sometimes there is a G1 to=20
> cathode short due to a loose wire.
>
> Anode is also inspected for melting, arc craters, signs of electron=20
> beam cutting, unusual grain growth in the coppper. They cannot be=20
> reused indefinitely.
>
> Perhaps some companies are just re-carb'ing tubes for rebuilds, but I=20=

> would hope that they are charging a lot less than 40% of the new cost=20=

> for just that service.

=F0  Re-builders / re-carburizers charge c. 50% whether any repair is=20
needed or not..  In some cases, a new Svetlana tube is less than the=20
cost of a rebuild.

> For reasons which Ian pointed out, and from experiences I have had=20
> with the same, it is not wise to cut and rebuild glass tubes unless=20
> there is an extreme need or cost is no object.

=F0  I have never heard of any re-builder doing such with glass tubes.

> In our case, the Machlett tubes were sold to Eimac, and discontinued=20=

> from production. Only way to survive with them was to try to rebuild=20=

> some duds or redesign the circuit. They ran with 90 kV of plate=20
> voltage, as a switch for the mod anode on a megawatt klystron.
>
> I am not sure why Econco didn't rebuild Cermelox RCA designs, but=20
> maybe due to complexity, or the lack of oxide cathode knowledge for=20
> that design?

=F0  As I understand it strontium / barium oxide cathodes are not=20
refurbishable because the emissive layer is bonded mechanically, not=20
epitaxially.

cheers, John.=20
 =20=