[Amps] RE: What to do with tubeless sweep tube FL2000

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sat Jun 26 12:33:52 EDT 2004

Yea,
They can be converted to the 6KG6-EL519 or EL509 sweep tube. From tests
here using the Yugoslavian version (EI brand), I found that they were
just as good as the 6JS6, 6LF6, 6KD6, and 8950 with comparable power.
These tubes are slightly taller and have a taller anode thus helping
with the power rating. The difference is that the 6KG6 uses a 9 pin
magnoval socket and the 6KD6 uses a 12 pin compactron. There is one
problem though, the 6KG6 was designed with a 700 Vdc anode voltage and
the 6KD6 a 900 Vdc voltage. The plate voltage will need to be turned
back to at least 800Vdc under load. That 1200 Vdc under load should be
about 1043 Vdc. Thus, the plate resistance will change and accordingly
the tank circuit also. The input resistance and capacitance is different
so the input tuning will be different also. I have tried these both grid
driven and grounded grid and work ok. On grid driven, I ran them with an
800 Vdc plate, 400 Vdc screen, and -120 Vdc control grid. G-G service
was 800 Vdc plate with -12Vdc on the control grid and using a grid leak
resistor-capacitor network. The Svetlana version of the 6KG6 is actually
a 6P45 tube and is a shade different in it's specifications than the
real 6KG6-EL519. The internal connections are the same but the other
specs like capacitance, etc. are different.

Will

Message: 5