[Amps] Choosing a first amp

Rob & Terri Sherwood rob at sherweng.com
Tue Mar 2 00:22:07 EST 2004

I have two TL-922As with all the Measures mods and Kessler QSK and bias
mods .  They are stable now, work fine on semi-breakin, and put out 1200
watts.  The down side is the output loading cap is under rated, so I
tune up on low voltage, switch to high voltage and leave the tuning
alone.  Otherwise I can arc over the load cap.  My older Alphas were
work horses, but had no protection circuitry.  Bought my Alpha 99 used
for $2500, and could not be happier.  Significantly easier to tune up
than my 89.  All these amps were significantly cleaner than my IC-4KL
that has found a new home.  If you can find a used 99, buy it and keep
it forever.
73, Rob, NC0B