[Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 12:01:09 EST 2004

The plate tune capacitor should be the LAST thing that you tune.
It should also be the first thing that you tune.

When you start out apply a small amount of drive and dip the plate with
the plate tune cap. Or peak it for maximum output of the amp. Then
increase the drive slightly and increase the loading for maximum output.
Retune the plate tune again. You can do this in 3 stages as you mention,
each time doing it with more drive until you get to full drive.

  You want to end up with full drive applied, tune plate tune for
maximum output, tune load control for maximum output and then tune plate
tune for maximum output again. If you get much of a change on the last
retune of the plate tune then readjust the load control again and the
plate tune again.

By the way, keep one hand on the carrier level on the exciter as you are
tuning up. Only insert carrier for the short time that you are actually
turning the knobs. Then reduce the carrier until you get your other hand
on the next knob to adjust. This way you will not have excess current in
the amp for very long while it is not in tune.

It sounds like you are not loading the amp heavy enough and the plate
circuit is arcing when you apply drive again.

Are you turning the exciter on the second time with full carrier applied
at turn on? If so the relays on the amp may not have enough time to
connect the antenna before power is being generated causing arcing.

73
Gary  K4FMX