[Amps] 3-500z tubes

Thomas Hix w4th at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 20:57:22 EST 2004

I noticed some discussion about the availability of 3-500zg tubes.
I can honestly say that I have sold many 100's of the 3-500zg tubes made in
China, and they are a great tube......now.
When they first started making the 3-500zg tubes in China, they were real
DOGS! I mean it was not unusual to have 4 out of 10 fail.....but several
thousand tubes later, and a few factory manager be-headings later (those
Chinese take product control seriously) I can say without reservation that
the present 3-500zg tubes made by Taylor, are as good as you will
find.....period. It is very unusual to have a failure in the present day
3-500zg tubes from China.
On the other hand, I have heard several horror stories from the guys that
are buying new amps with the 3-500zg tubes which are made in Europe
installed in them new from the factory. I personally know of 4 people who
have bought brand new amps with the European made 3-500zg tubes in them, and
they have had to have their tubes replaced under warranty. One guy is on his
3rd tube in 12 months....I wonder if maybe he is not a little rough on his
tubes, but he says he is not.
So if you are thinking of new tubes for a 3-500z amp, dont be afraid of the
Chinese tubes.....they are really the best buy for the buck......I wouldn't
sell them if they wernt.....I could not afford the shipping cost on
replacements (which I pay both ways....yes both ways..... if the tubes were
failing all the time.
I have the Taylor 3-500zg tubes in stock at all times (or try to anyway hi
hi). The ones I sell are fully tested and have a full warranty. I stand
behind my tubes 100%
You can check them out at http://www.tomstubes.com
73
Tom....w4th

Tom's Tubes: Specializing in Amateur Radio Amplifier Tubes & Sockets, CT
Brand CW Keys, & G3SEK Triode/Tetrode Boards and Kits.
http://www.tomstubes.com