[Amps] vhf supression in 6 meter amps

George ne2i at optonline.net
Mon Mar 15 22:14:04 EST 2004

I have an sb 1000 converted to six meters that is definitely oscillating
it still uses the 3-500z but after reading Rick Measures web site I see now that the
anode supressor that was built was not going to supress much. It was an inch wide
1 turn copper coil and 10 watt 37.5 ohm resistor network consisting of 2 75ohm  resistors, one inside the coil and one outside the coil. When the amp went into oscillation (i think partially due to a combination of an bad zener diode and me playing with the input pi network tuning cap) it blew the outer resistor only.
the inner was spared.
I now want to try to get this amp to be stable but all the reference material I see on the net or in the ARRL HB deals primarily with 3-500z tubes in HF amps,  not on 6 meters. I know I  had other problems ( maybe a dead tube or the Zener) but I want to
at least give the tube a fighting chance.  Also is a good test bed for other projects
including the henry amp that needs a similar upgrade.
Thanks
George NE2I