[Amps] Transformer taps

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Sun Mar 21 21:09:25 EST 2004

Gary Schafer wrote:
> I have a plate transformer that has taps at 2000, 2500 and 3000 with a
> common center tap. Obviously made for a full wave rectifier to supply
> 1000, 1250 or 1500 volts rectified.
>
> I will use it with a full wave bridge.

Without answering your question about the taps :-), I would caution you
that some older transformers that are designed to be used in full wave
circuits are wound with the center tap closest to the core, and this
part of the winding is not insulated as well as it might be since it is
supposed to be grounded.  I guess it would be best to check with a
hi-pot if you have access to one, or at least keep in mind the
possibility of a failure at this point.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco