[Amps] insulation

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 24 10:37:30 EST 2004

G10 will melt down into an awful stinkin' and
burnin' mess when heated in high Rf fields. I
rarely use it anymore, except for PW
applications. It is certainly a big step above
Delrin acetals or nylons. Have settled on several
wonder materials like:
Rexolite (crosslinked polystyrene) rod and sheet
Polyetherimide (ULTEM* 2300) with 30% glass, also known as Tempalux*
Polysulfone (UDEL*), also known as Thermalux*
G7  (silicone resin reinforced glass)

All more expensive, but if you want the highest Q
and no heating, they are worth it. These are all
high temperature engineered plastics. If you are
concentrating E field flux in the dielectric,
even with a kW, G10 will heat up. Good old UHMW
(ulta high molecular weight) polypropylene and
polyethyline made good insulators but have low
glass transisition temperatures and will soften
and dimensionally change with heat.

Your local plastics supplier has them. Pricewise,
the first two are about $1000 for a square foot
of 1 inch thick material! The rod stock is much
cheaper, and for smaller coils it is more so. The
G7 is more difficult to machine or turn on a
lathe than G10 due to the lamination layers. But
it is excellent material structurally as well as
RF'ly.

Cheers
John
K5PRO