[Amps] Delrin in RF Fields

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Mar 26 01:16:11 EST 2004

•  Jim --  Delrin® was used for the roller-coil form in an MFJ "3kW"
antenna tuner.  During testing at c. the 1kW level in the ARRL lab, the
roller coil form reportedly melted and  ignited.  The problem is that
Delrin® has a worrisome D-factor at 1MHz, and the problem worsens as f
increases.  ABS, or any of the other styrenes, has a lower D-factor.   (I
found this info out at a local  plastics dealer).  Sure, ABS isn't as
nice to machine as Delrin®..