[Amps] DVM recomendation

Dennis12Amplify at aol.com Dennis12Amplify at aol.com
Thu May 6 10:33:50 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/5/04 11:11:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
garyschafer at comcast.net writes:
I am in need of a decent digital volt meter. Looking for a handheld
preferably with true rms readings. Would like to have DC error around
.25% or better
There are dozens of 'one-off' Chinese imports available that will do the job
for you but be carful of your requested spec. Most digital meters specify an
accuracy as a fixed percentage of the scale PLUS OR MINUS one least significant
digit, so make sure you get a 5 digit meter if you want guarantee .25%
accuracy to at least 3 digits .

 The Jameco Catalog lists a 20,000 count true RMS meter with a 0.05% DC
accuracy with resolution to 10uv, ( which means the accuracy of the RMS conversion
would be less, (but may still be within the .25% true RMS accuracy you are
looking for), for only $219.95. It is the EZ Digital Model DM441

 If you search the intrnet, I'm sure you will be able to find a cheaper meter
with similar specs....

 Just beware of meter 'specsmanship' and make sure you know what you are
purchasing.

Fluke is apparently the Cadillac but expensive. Any suggestions that
won't break the bank?

 If you look at the fine print of that 'Caddilac' Fluke meter, I bet you will
see that their published accuracy spec is based solely on the DC readings,
not the true RMS conversions, in which case the EZ digital would be the better
choice for accuracy.

 Regards and good hunting,

Dennis O.