[Amps] FS: Really QRO System!

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Mon May 10 21:31:37 EDT 2004

Aloha from Kauai,

I am selling my Henry 8K System:

As for the 8K,  I have barley used it!  Sort of wish I hadn't put
nearly $15,000 into it,  the SS750,  the 3 remote preset boxes of
dual precision pots to yield 24 presets,  and the custom controller
unit for the series connection of  SS750+8K and several other accessory
items all included,  see on below!

I have all 600 or so pounds of it out here,  hi, including the two Astron
RS-70M parallel power supplies for the SS750. I use the SS750 by
itself every few days,  as the system allows for that.

All was brand new and delivered out here in the Spring of '99.
I am including the large Bird 3 KW "Coaxial Resistor",  aka
dummy load,  and a Bird 43,  nearly new (S/N 277093) with 500,
2500,  and 5000W slugs, external to the built-in Bird stuff
in the amp remote RF/PS cabinet and the Controller Unit.

This system was custom built for me,  mostly by Paul
Johnson at Henry.  Also included is the Henry 10 KW Low
Pass Filter and one of Paul Schrader's XMatch(tm) classic
low bander tuners,  optimized for 160, 80 and 40 meters,
but will also tune most any antenna on all the HF bands.

All these added goodies is how come I have about $15,000
in this afterburner set-up!

Would appreciate offers for this system, which all together
is going to weigh around 700 pounds to Air Freight to the
new owner.  Henry used Lynden Air Freight to send all
out here in March of 1999 from LAX.  All equipment will
be professionally and properly packed/insured for the
journey.

I would use the same air freight service Henry used to ship out here,
or whatever carrier the buyer might specify.

I have a complete set of external/internal .jpeg photos of the entire
system,  and could send them off as email attachments to anyone
requesting them.

I have Paul Johnson's hand drawn system interconnect diagrams, and
all cables and interconnections supplied by Henry.  There are 20 feet
of all cables that connect the remote Control unit on the operating desk,
to the RF/PS pedestal which I have installed,  along with the SS750 and
its' two power supplies in another room adjacent to my "shack" room.
I also have the operating manuals for the system elements,  all to be included
in the shipment.

The Henry spec on the 8K is 5000W PEP or 2500W DC (RTTY, etc.).
With the SS750 in series after the transceiver to drive the 8K,  only
32 watts drive from your transceiver will cause the SS750 to drive the
8K with about 200 watts,  whose output,  CW, would then approach
the 5 KW!!  However,  I NEVER operated with over 1500 showing
on the Bird 43.  But how nice to have an amp system,  and entire rig set
up which is just coasting along quietly at full Amateur legal output power!

For the 8K to output the full spec power would require a 50 amp, 240 volt
line source,  and a separate 120 volt circuit for the two RS-70M
supplies for the drive amp.

I would hate to pass on and leave my wife wondering what
to do with all this stuff,  hi!  Of course,  as I am only about
70,  I could live another 30 years and use the 8K system
some more,  but you never know.

Obviously,  no one will pay anywhere near what I did for the system
as new and custom designed and set up,  but I will sell all for $7500,
which would include the air freight/packing/insurance.  Or,  make
what you believe is  an offer which would be attractive to each of us;
perhaps you could pay for the packing/shipping, etc.

New prices today from Henry for these items are:  8K, $7500;
SS750, $1350; 24 preset option, $1500; RS-70M power supplies,
two needed, from AES, $290 each; 10 kW LPF, $295;  Bird
8890-300,  3000 watt dummy load,  I paid Henry $1395;
Bird 43 meter, paid Henry $250,  500 watt slug was $80, the
2500 and 5000W slugs were $150 each; XMatch tuner, I paid
Paul, N4XM,  nearly $1k for it. I do not know what Henry would
charge today for the customization of the Controller Unit to
operate both the 8K and the SS750 as a remote/series system.
Of course,  I also paid hundreds of dollars in air freight charges!!

Anyway,  all is here,  works just super,  but little used.

 73,  Jim Reid KH7M