[Amps] Fl2000b grid choke

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed May 19 21:51:21 EDT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Paul Erickson wrote:

> I am fixing an FL2000b amp for a friend, and among other things the=20
> grid choke is black from over heating. I am having trouble finding one=20=

> locally. It is one of the old receiving type millen/miller single=20
> layer chokes. Anyone know where I can find a good replacement?

=F0  Paul -- Replacing the choke is not the fix.  The choke was toasted=20=

because of a burst of grid-I.  The fix is to improve the VHF stability=20=

of the amplifier so as to lessen the chance of burst in grid-I.  Since=20=

a Cu-wire choke is a poor fuse, and a burst in grid-I can damage a=20
572B, it would be better to limit grid-I with a fusing resistor of 30 -=20=

39-ohms @ 0.25w.  -- notes --  The resistor type:  Carbon-film is=20
better then MOF for this application.  // To protect the grid fusing=20
resistor from 10m RF from the adjacent anode, the grid should be=20
bypassed with c. 1500pF.

=BD=C5