[Amps] 1kw amp & 811A tube check

Roger Agnew k1kq at motorhomesusa.com
Wed May 26 15:06:57 EDT 2004

Greetings to the group!

I'm new to the group and new to running more than barefoot power. I will now be running power amps with my Collins S-line, KWM-2A and Icom Pro radios.

I'm wanting to check some 811A tubes in my Hickok 800A tube checker and the 811A or 572B is not listed in the manual or on the "wheel" chart. Can this tube be checked and if so does anybody know what the settings would be? I would also like to know of a good reliable source to have on hand for a tube cross reference chart.

I'm also in need of some 6146, 6146B and 4CX-1000 tubes, any good sources the group knows of would be appreciated or anyone that may have some good-excellent used tubes available for sale please contact me off list.

I will soon be posting to my web site some detailed pictures of a home-brew 1kw amp that an engineer of some 28 years at the University of Iowa built back in the early 60's and ran with his Collins S-Line. I got the power supplies and PA all mounted in an original Collins rack from him. He use to shop the Collins Outlet store in Cedar Rapids. His health is not good and a recent stroke left him virtually blind, although he is available to talk to. He is a true "gentleman" and I would like to resurrect his station, I already have his Collins S-Line station working and it all fired right up and just worked, which says allot for his equipment and Collins. I promised him I would make a contact with him at a friends home in Ames, Iowa using his original station when I got it all going. The schematics he found and included are home-drawn and are fairly complete. The design and appearance of this amp looks excellent, as well as very professionally done with top components.  It's not a hack job! It was working for his last contact in his log book in 1984 and has been kept in his basement clean and dry.

I will be looking for someone in Texas or near Austin to help me fire this amp up, for which I'm willing to pay. If someone is or knows of someone who is experienced in working on this type of amp please contact me. I'm in Quincy, IL in route back to Austin with the equipment in my van and I could stop along the way. Extensive pictures have been taken and I'm working on posting them to my web page very soon. I will provide the URL to anyone who would like to view them.

This is my first post and I will keep future posts a bit more abbreviated.

Thanks in advance for any help the group can provide,

Roger Agnew
K1KQ
Austin, TX
888-536-5500 - Toll Free to my cell phone

P.S. Where and when do you folks in the group hang out on air?