[Amps] strange inquiry for 4CX15,000A use

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Thu May 27 13:20:32 EDT 2004

That question is like asking which refrigerators use brand X
compressor, or which trucks use a Cummins (or Fiat) engines. The
4CX15,000A is used (and has been used for many years) in all sorts of
transmitters, from broadcast FM rigs in the 20 kW output range (class
C) to drivers for particle accelerators, to linear amplifiers (class
AB1 or 2) and so on. If you wish to just purchase a transmitter using
this tube, and don't care about the frequency, mode of operation,
suggest you contact CPI/Eimac, the original designer of that tube and
a current manufacturer, for a list of who uses it today. You might
not get that info, but you can probably get market segment data at
least. Then you should search for companies and call or check the web
to see. Not as many companies are using it in new products now, as
solid state is slowing overcoming a lot of the <20 kW power range for
<150 MHz frequencies.

K5PRO