[Amps] proposed rule changes about amps

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat May 29 11:49:04 EDT 2004

On May 28, 2004, at 7:24 PM, Thomas Hix wrote:

> What do you think about the FCC proposals which will once again allow=20=

> the manufacture of amps designed to operate on frequencies above 15=20
> meters.....without modification that is....

=F0  The new rules will reduce the income of CB technicians who made=20
money by modifying "legal" commercially-manufactured amateur radio=20
amplifiers to cover 27MHz.
-  The FCC's 50w minimum drive requirement does not affect serious=20
CBers since they typically purchase amateur radio transceivers in the=20
100w to 200w range - which they plan on using on the Ham bands when=20
they obtain an FCC license.
-  The sad thing about the interference problem is that the Goldwater=20
(W7UGA) Act  gave the FCC the needed rules to see to it that the public=20=

would not be sold electronics equipment that was susceptible to radio=20
signals, however, EIA lobbyists enriched the campaign contribution=20
warchests of Congressmen who agreed to block monies the FCC's needed to=20=

enforce the Goldwater Act.   The amount money saved by electronics=20
manufacturers was humungous --  for example, a typical electronic=20
telephone requires c. 5=A2 worth of additional resistors at the inputs =
of=20
its ICs to make it immune to strong radio signals.    On a billion=20
telephones, a nickel per unit is $50-megabucks saved.

Epilogue --  The only person who seemingly gained anything from the 10m=20=

amplifier ban was the (now-ex) FCC employee (R. K.)  who was taking=20
greenbacks under the table to expedite  re-type accepting commercially=20=

manufactured amplifiers under the new rules.  However, when the FCC=20
found out about his game, he was made an offer he could not refuse and=20=

resigned.  As I understand it, R. K. got a job as an attorney with a=20
Washington D. C. law firm.

later