[Amps] 4CX1500B QSK

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Nov 1 13:34:44 EST 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 9:48 AM, Karl-Arne Markström wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> The solution that I would recommend is a grid-block keying circuit
> that biases the grid into the cut-off region when the key is up.
>
> This is easy to handle if you drive the grid bias circuit through a
> source follower
> or a reasonably low-impedance potential divider.
>
> By using a heavy duty FET optoisolator (Clare PLA140) you can switch
> the operating point with
> a very small delay (a few 100's of microseconds), allowing sequencing
> circuits to work properly.
>
> This concept was used a few years ago for QSK-ing a Collins 208U-10
> amplifier that
> used a 6S4 cathode follower and a reed relay switching circuit.
> The 6S4 was replaced by a 1000V 3A MOSFET source follower, and the
> reed relay with the PLA140.
>
> The 208U-10 is somewhat special, in the respect that the screen grid
> is directly grounded,

This is virtually the only circuit configuration possible since Eimac
does not make a screen-bypas C for the SK-300A.

>  the cathode
> is then at -1250V respective the screen grid. Consequently the grid
> bias supply is floated at -1250 V
> and the isolation requirements become quite stringent.
>
> When there are flash-overs in the 4CX10000D, the MOSFET and/or PLA140
> sometimes get vaporized.
> Compared to what it used to cost to replace the 6S4, reed relay and
> 6S4 filament transformer,
> the solid state replacement is a bargain.

Indeed, Karl-Arne.  An even less expensive solution is to guard the
DC-floating cathode circuitry with 2, 800piv 3A diodes in series to
gnd.  Thus, if the HV+ arcs to gnd, the potential across the 2 diodes
tries to rise from 1250v-neg. to > 1600v-neg., the diodes fail-shorted.
  and the HV+ glitch-R dissipates the joules stored in the HV filter-C
until the mains-breakers trip.