[Amps] Shunt Feed Tower Issues

Dennis pegasus at mho.net
Mon Nov 1 16:17:14 EST 2004

Hello Javier...
   The rating of the capacitor is not defined by either frequency or
power directly.   It is determined by the voltage that appears across
the plates.  When using capacitors in such an antenna as yours voltages
can go to extreme levels across the cap.  Traps, and especially parallel
circuits, can produce voltages in the tens of thousands even with
moderate power levels.  Depending on how it is used the voltages can be
very tame, but I would start by using a cap with a very high voltage
rating... perhaps 30kv or more, and even then increase your power
carefully.  Also, be sure the external surface  of the capacitor is
clean and MAKE sure that nothing is touching it while in use.  I have
seen a doorknob capacitor throw a 1 inch arc to a nearby object then
shatter in to a hundred pieces in a ball of flame.  The power level was
about 800 watts.
   I don't believe that tuner manufacturers should publish power ratings
as agressively as they do... the voltages developed across the
components are dependent on the quality of the load as much as the power
going in to it.  I've seen a tuner throw a 3 inch arc at 200 watts.
That same tuner can handle 1,000 watts with no trouble with a different
load.   There is no way for me to tell you how large of a cap that you
will need in your circumstance.  We'd have to know the size of the
tower, where the shunt is, and lots of other things.  Then maybe someone
smarter than me could calculate it very close.  But there is not enough
information in your post to do that.
Start large, and go smaller if you can.  But 1,300 watts is a lot of
power to go across an air variable in anything except nice
low-impedence, low reactance, applications.
73,
Dennis
NØSP