[Amps] SB-220

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Nov 1 20:38:43 EST 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 4:50 PM, kwasny wrote:

> I smoked one of 1mH chokes on my sb-220.

Darryl -- This is caused by a parasitic oscillation ar c. 110MHz.
Replacing the choke with resistors will not prevent vhf oscillations.
There's an article about parasites in the 220 on my web site that
explains this phenomenon and a method of reducing vhf gain in the 220.
.

> Also saw some arcing around the meter area. I am going to replace the
> chokes with resisters. Have to replace one of the 220pF caps that got
> smoked up. Does anyone know what may have arced near the meter area?
> Fact is, what made the rf choke smoke?

The high grid-I during a vhf parasite creates a lateral EMF on the hot
filament helix.  This occasionally bends the filament far enough
sideways to short against the grid -- which is grounded through the
choke.  Since the filament xfmr is connected to the +110vdc power
supply on Rx, it shorts the supply to ground, causing a large current
flow-- which smokes the choke.