[Amps] 4CX1500 QSK

Mark Hill g4fph at mjha.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 07:09:43 EST 2004

Rich,
Karl-Arne,

Many thanks for the suggestions.  Having looked at the circuits for the
amplifier section, I think leaving the screen Voltage present at all times
and switching the grid bias would be easiest.  Prompted by your circuit
idea Rich, I have dug out a suitable power FET and OPTO that should handle
switching duties.

Rich, it seems as though this particular TX /amplifier has been optimised
for very low IMD at the 1 kW level - probably because there were lots of
them in close proximity to one another.  The manual quotes IPs as better
than -36 dB on either of two tones (CCIR 326-2).  The operating parameters
seem to be taken more or less straight from the Eimac data sheet for the
valve.  I noted you point about the valve being capable of producing more
Watts.  I may try just a few more Volts on the screen out of curiosity, but
the low IMD probably betters my triode units and will be good for local rag
chews and digital modes.

Karl-Arne, the Collins sounds like an interesting unit.  I hope I don't
come across one at a bargain price - it would be terrible to have to choose
between a lovely wife and a 'tube with handles'!

Regards.

Mark.