[Amps] SB-220

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Nov 3 11:56:24 EST 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 8:01 AM, kwasny wrote:

>> On Nov 1, 2004, at 4:50 PM, kwasny wrote:
>>
>>> I smoked one of 1mH chokes on my sb-220.
>>
>> Darryl -- This is caused by a parasitic oscillation ar c. 110MHz.
>> Replacing the choke with resistors will not prevent vhf oscillations.
>> There's an article about parasites in the 220 on my web site that
>> explains this phenomenon and a method of reducing vhf gain in the 220.
>> .
>>
>>> Also saw some arcing around the meter area. I am going to replace the
>>> chokes with resisters. Have to replace one of the 220pF caps that got
>>> smoked up. Does anyone know what may have arced near the meter area?
>>> Fact is, what made the rf choke smoke?
>>
>> The high grid-I during a vhf parasite creates a lateral EMF on the hot
>> filament helix.  This occasionally bends the filament far enough
>> sideways to short against the grid -- which is grounded through the
>> choke.  Since the filament xfmr is connected to the +110vdc power
>> supply on Rx, it shorts the supply to ground, causing a large current
>> flow-- which smokes the choke.
>>
>>> What other damage might I have done. What is a good source for the
>>> 220pF caps and any other parts that I may need?
>>>
>>> Thanks to all, Darryl
>
> Thanks to all that replied. I am being very cautious before applying
> power
> to the amp again. I have looked all over the meter area, the band
> switch
> area and everything else in that area can cannot find any evidence of
> any
> arcing. I checked the zener diode and it seems OK. I checked the meter
> board
> and all of the diodes and resisters test OK also. I am still trying to
> find
> out what might have arced in that area, any ideas?

Some have reported that the arc is between an anode connector (usually
V-2's) and the perforated cover over the output compartment.  My guess
is that this why V-2 is the tube that typically shorts in a SB-220
during a big-bang.  Since the arc distance from the anode connectors to
the metal cover is > triple of what would normally be possible with a
3000v PS, this is a clue that either some yet-unknown species of tiny
spider can spin conductive webs -- or that something extraordinary is
causing the arcs.

> I would like to get it
> working again before making any other changes to improve the parasitic
> oscillation problem.

Doing so on the CW/TUNE tap would be safer since more V = more gain.

good luck, Darryl