[Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors

R.Measures r at somis.org
Thu Nov 4 00:56:37 EST 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> One reason that an SB-220 can develop VHF parasitics is the following:
>  the original suppressors use 2-watt carbon composition resistors.
> These resistors tend to increase in value when they age, and
> especially when they are heated. If an SB-220 has been used heavily,
> especially on 10 meters or -- worst case -- on 10 (or 11!) meter AM,
> the resistors will have gotten quite hot and may have changed
> significantly in value, or even opened up.
>
> If the resistors are discolored, they should definitely be replaced.

Vic -- The suppressor resistors in my SB-220 toasted during operation
on 7MHz.  I replaced them with new resistors and they got toasted too.
I did the math and there was no way that 7MHz energy should have been
able to do that with a 60 or so nH L across each R.  I observed that my
SB-220 had a slight second-dip in plate-anode current as I tuned
through resonance on 40m.   These things started me thinking.  Several
years later I concluded that Murphy's theorem that things are not as
simple as they first look is usually true.