[Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 03:23:55 EST 2004

K7RDX wrote:
>My hf GS-35b AMP has a supressor only in the cathode and has been super
>stable for the last four years.....

GS-35B amps on 432MHz, 144Mhz and 50MHz are unconditionally stable with
NO parasitic suppressors at all.  That's with the anode and cathode
deliberately tuned to the same frequencies, and any combination of input
and output tuning and loading.

With the grid ring solidly clamped to the chassis, the GS-35B will not
oscillate at VHF, regardless of *any* input or output resonances.

Exactly the same can be said for the 8877 - another tube that can be
used in tuned amplifiers from HF though VHF. If its grid ring is
grounded directly to the chassis, there will be no on-frequency
oscillation in a VHF amp, and no VHF parasitic oscillation in an HF amp.

(The only exception would be if the feedback path is not through the
tube, eg due to poor shielding and/or RF bypassing.)

My HF GS-35B provides a kind-of-backhanded proof of this. It has the
usual parallel L&R in the anode circuit, but  by courtesy of Steve
G8GSQ's network analyser, we discovered that doesn't provide any
significant damping at the VHF parasitic resonance frequency! But there
is no parasitic oscillation... because the grid ring is solidly
grounded.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek