[Amps] A Meeting Ground

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Nov 4 13:04:16 EST 2004

This has always been an issue. Particularly when high-Q circuits are involved.
One time while helping the accelerator tech try to find out why our 20 MHz,
10KW bunching amplifier signal was getting into the sensitive
instrumentation I noticed that in haste they only installed every other
screw on a panel shielding a very high-Q tuned circuit from the outside
world. This was a 3 turn ( really looked more like twist) water cooled coil
with the ends of the tuned circuit going to defection plates used to
deflect 5 MegaElectron Volt protons at a 20 MHz rate.

Well, I took an insulated screw driver and put it between the shield (where
a screw was supposed to be) and the chassis. And there was an RF arc. The
there were screws on either side only about 6 inches away and we were
producing an arc half way between them on a 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate
which they assumed was grounded.  Needless to say, they reinstalled the
screws and the problem went away.

I have noticed some homebrew amplifiers I have purchased have the plate
tuning capacitor grounded to the front panel. This is bad. Since all the
fundamental and all the harmonic currents from the plate of the tube flow
thru this ground path and can produce a good deal of radiated TVI off the
front panel.

Also, it is bad when the plate capacitor return path to cathode on the
chassis is common to the input circuit. Even though the circuits are on
opposite side of the chassis there can be a good deal of coupling.

Just some thoughts.

73
Bill wa4lav