[Amps] A Meeting Ground

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Nov 5 17:54:12 EST 2004

Dennis,

Well they probably would somewhat but I would think the currents in the
face plate would be reduced a good degree this way. If the negative from
the power supply is attached directly to the chassis pan like most are,
the the electrons will flow towards the capacitor, It the wiper lead is
attached to the pan, and the current passed it first, they should tend
to follow it more. The reason being is there's two mechanical
connections between the chassis and the cap through the faceplate. This
being the connection from the face plate to the chassis pan and the caps
threaded shaft to the faceplate. There is actually another, after the
threaded portion, it has to move through the bearing into the rotor
plates. On the other hand, there is only one mechanical connection from
the chassis to the spider, and one at the wiper to the rotor plates.
Also, each mechanical connection will contribute some impedance
according to what type it is. I used a soldered connection from the
wiper to the chassis. Most mechanical connections where the faceplate
attached to the chassis are joined by screws, rivets, etc. or may be
spot-welded which would be better in a way. I would think a mechanical
joint being soldered or welded would provide the less amount of impedance.

This is one subject I have not seen many studies on, only discussion
like we are having. I wonder if any university studies have been
performed on the way current flows through chassis grounds and intermix?
I have watched distortions and lines of heating in steel from a high
currents passed through it while welding or heating, The hottest portion
was always a straight path between the electrode and ground. Using a DC
current, I imagine an iron powder could be used on the surface to show
the lines of flux as on a magnet, I'm not sure on this. I do know in
welding, this direction means a good deal because of arc-blow. Anytime
an arc is ran towards the direction of the ground, the arc will want to
wander from side to side, and back and forward. When this direction is
reversed so the arc is moving away from the ground, the arc straightens out.

Best & 73's

Will Matney