[Amps] A Meeting Ground

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Nov 5 22:54:59 EST 2004

Tony King wrote:

> At 10:33 PM 11/5/2004, Will Matney wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Well, the DC currents and RF currents are intermixed in the chassis
>> itself. The RF current circulates through the tank circuit to the
>> load and back to ground. It is also across the cathode and anode of
>> the tube(s). The reason for mentioning the PSU ground is the B- is at
>> the cathode. But, the tank capacitors and coil charge and discharge
>> through the load and then back. The power fed to the tank then is
>> created by the tube(s) and PSU. By the impedances being different,
>> more RF should go to ground through the wipers than through the
>> shaft. Actually, that's how they're designed to operate. It's really
>> a simple parallel resistor circuit but with mighty low resistances.
>>

>>>  Since a part of tuning capacitance is the internal capacitance of
>>> the tube, the best possible scenario would be to have both the tune
>>> and load cap frames or wipers going to a _single point_ ground at
>>> the tube RF ground location.
>>

>> Exactly, and with the shortest connection possible.
>>

>>>  Those circulating RF currents should not pass through the negative
>>> lead of the power supply at all.
>>

>> No they wont, they are blocked by the plate choke from doing so, and
>> filtered by the bypass capacitors. They intermix with each other
>> through the chassis only at the tube(s).
>
> <snip>
>
> I have to ask... with all the talk about the combined currents on the
> chassis... call that common... signal ground... chassis ground...
> ground or take your pick...  no one has said anything about skin
> effect... resistance, especially on the surface (where your RF is) of
> aluminum.

Well the skin effect does come into play here as the RF does go towards
the outer skin of the chassis material the same as in a conductor. The
higher the frequency, the more towards the outer skin it travels and
less current through the center.

>   What are you doing about that? Are you treating your aluminum
> chassis with chromate?

No chromate that I know of. There's only three materials I've seen used
for RF chassis and is copper, mild steel, and aluminum.

> 73, Tony W4ZT

Best & 73's

Will Matney