[Amps] Here's a Shocker

Dennis12Amplify at aol.com Dennis12Amplify at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 15:56:34 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/15/04 2:13:55 PM Central Standard Time,
wlfuqu00 at uky.edu writes:

>   With all due respect, and purely out of regard for  your personal
> safety, I *STRONGLY* suggest that both you gentelmen  immediately suspend
> all involvement with these items until you gain a  better understanding of
> basic AC theory and  practice!!

* I didn't know that I was that uneducated in that  area.
* I taught circuit analysis using Boylestad at Morton  College.
* I held a 1st class FCC license until I received a  'grandfathered' General.
* Ignorance is bliss I guess......

>   In the first place, the adverse physiological  effects of voltage on the
> human body is due mainly to currents above  a certain threshold across the
> chest cavity and heart structures,  clamping and spasm of muscles
> resulting in tearing of tissues, and  nerve damage/eradication.  Then
> there are the burn phenomena,  both resitive and RF induced.

*I have followed those studies intently and have also had access  to
documents regarding the 'secret' tests that Western Electric/ Bell Labs ran  for the
government back in the 40's that make the German Doctor's tests on  human
subjects look like childs play. The only difference is that Western  Electric paid
their subjects well for what they did.

>   These come into play at various points and  severities, depending on the
> amount of current dropped by the body,  the path taken by the voltage, and
> the frequencies (from DC to RF) as  well as the voltage, and the duration
> of the exposure.

*The western electric studies described in detail exactly what  the bodily
effects were for various levels of applied curent and frequency  from DC to HF;
from drooling, to urination, to actual heart  stoppage.

>   Y'all *really* oughta read up on some basic  electrical and RF safety -
> I'm sacred for you.  I've lost  friends in electrical accidents and it's
> not the prettiest way to  depart the planet.

*I quit a good paying job at National Video Corp because they  wanted me to
do something I considered quite hazardous, and it was a condition  of
employment. Three weeks later I went to the funeral of the guy who took my  place.

>   As for power transmission being more  efficient at higher line freqs:
> look up "skin effect" and see how  that tallies with your theory.

*1000HZ has little or no measurable 'skin effect';  certainly not enough more
than 60HZ to make any difference.

>High
> frequencies travel more and more on the the surface of  a conductor -
> which is how microwaves use 'waveguide' (very  basically).  Many times you
> will see big HF coils wound with  tubing - no use having all that copper
> if it'll never see the  currents.

*We are not talking about RF  here!!!!!

>   Aircraft used to use 400 Htz to cut  down on the iron/copper wieght -
> but the most modern ships are all  going to DC busses as the gear gets
> smaller and more  integrated.

*Back to the old battle between Edison and Tesla  again?

*I thought the DC busses were to minimize 'trackable' emissions  that the
enemy could use to find them....

>   Please do get a btter idea of these safety issues  before you find out
> the hard way.

*Please try to get a better understanding of the difference  between VLF and
HF...

>   Cheers
>
>John  KB6SCO

 *Regards,