[Amps] Zero Crossing circuit

R.Measures r at somis.org
Thu Nov 18 05:58:03 EST 2004

Mark -- With a simple, current-limiting R / step-start DC relay=20
circuit, it does not matter at which part of the cycle the mains are=20
switched on.  The advantage of such a circuit is that it=20
rather-leisurely takes 60-cycles (one-second) or so to charge the=20
filter -C instead of a fast and furious 1/60 of a second.  For small=20
power supplies, the difference is small, but for QRO anode-supplies=20
it's not small at all.  For example, in my current project, the anode=20
PS filter stores about 4500J.  Charging this amount of Joules in 1/60=20
of a second would be a large order.  Instead, when the supply is=20
switched on, a 5=BD resistor is initially connected in series with the=20=

electric-mains to limit the worst-case inrush-current to around=20
50A-peak.  When the capacitor is charged to c. 66% of normal, a DC=20
relay shorts out the 5=BD resistor and normal operation can begin.  =
Since=20
1-second is about the length of time it takes for a thoriated-tungsten=20=

filament to reach operating temperature, a 1-second or so delay would=20
seem to be okay.
-  Another facet of this issue is what happens when one-half of a FWD=20
filter-C bank gets fully charged on the first half-cycle?  Since there=20=

is no charge on the other half of the filter, any external current that=20=

is drawn at this point forces reverse-current through the uncharged=20
half of the C-filter bank.  For electrolytic filter-capacitors, this is=20=

not good.  However, with a simple relay/resistor step-start circuit,=20
both capacitors are brought up more or less equally in small=20
increments, so there is no instant where one C is fully charged and the=20=

other C is fully discharged.
- cheerz