[Amps] Zero Crossing Anomoly

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Thu Nov 18 19:03:59 EST 2004

Gents,

My Commander 2500E never makes a "thump" when I turn on
the a.c. mains.   :)

However, the 3,100 V.D.C. HV supply is instantly applied
to the cold anodes of the three 3CPX800A7 triodes.   :(

In addition, more often than not, the blower motor does not
start spinning and I need to go inside the amplifier and give the
squirrel-cage a push with an orange stick or a straw to get it
going!

For a timely comparison I contacted Ray at QRO, but he refuses to
build me a three tetrode 4CX800 amplifier that seems to use the very
same blower. I would be curious if the turntable-style shaded-pole motor
driving the blower cages actually need the full EMF that the soft-start
modules both the 2500E and the Mark III amplifiers sport?

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel
W4HBM