[Amps] tube flatulence - gettering

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri Nov 19 13:40:09 EST 2004

Jason,

In smaller receiving type tubes, and sweep tubes, that was seen in new
tubes. The pale blue color was seen inside the anode or coming from the
guts of the tube through holes in the anode. It's been so long now where
I read about this, but it seems like it had something to do with
ionization somehow from molecules of the anode or cathode, I forget
which. I would imagine this could happen on larger glass tubes also. A
gassy tube will arc and remind you of a flash bulb going off. The old
receiving-sweep tubes which were gassy had a dead give away in that the
silver coating formed by the getter(s) flashing would turn white when
air entered the envelope. If B+ was applied, it would look like a small
lightning storm inside with small flashes here and there. On large glass
tubes, the arcing can be heard somewhat due to the power of the arc.

Now I'm not sure on the explanation above as I'm trying to quote from
memory of about 20 years ago. As long as they're not arcing, and have
proper output, run them. Old tubes should be cooked for 24 to 48 hours
before applying B+ by just letting the heater to run. They can also be
done a similar way by heating them up and slowly applying B+ in steps
over time. Some call this "gettering" but the old term I always heard
was "baking one in". Gettering was actually flashing the "getter" inside
of a tube which consumed the last amounts of any air. If I recall, the
getter had a magnesium coating which was flashed. It then created the
silvery coating on the glass where the chemical reaction took place.
Hope this helps for an explanation, if I'm incorrect on this, somebody
please explain it.

Best & 73's

Will Matney