[Amps] Re: Step-start calculation

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 21 20:07:01 EST 2004

Will...Indeed that's what it says.

But what's all this stuff about magnetizing current in transformers??
Someone needs to explain that effect.  The paper seems to say that a
transformer with nothing connected to its seconday may look like a short
circuit (!!??) because the core needs to magnetize.  But inductance
resists an increase in current.  That's why people recommend choke input
power supplies, to resist the current surges.  The energy absorbed by a
transformer is small because the inductance is large and the current is
small.  I've never seen a surge when switching on a transformer, yes it
may hum a bit, and pull a small amount of current, but at a fraction of
it's rating, not a multiple of it's rating.

Another thing, what's this concept that surges build up over several
half cycles?  An AC transformer gets 100% magnetically polarized,
depolarized, and polarized the negative direction on every line cycle.
There's no build up of magnetic energy unless its ferroresonant or
something.

On the timing of the switch...maybe in 1974, SSRs switched slowly, but
today, suppliers focus on precise timing because accurate zero crossing
means less emitted RFI noise and less filtering required.

I just don't know what the paper means to the type of transformers and
power supplies hams use.  I Googled for other references to this effect
and didn't find anying relevant.  The best paper referred to magnetizing
current as small compared to load current.

jeff, wa1hco